The SunFlower Project
In September 2017, Patchwerk launched Exploring the Arts, a hands-on art program that provides a creative outlet for students with special needs, developmental delays, and/or social and behavioral issues. The projects offered use crafting as a lens to teach nutrition, cultural storytelling and language. The program hopes to raise awareness of the abilities of children from all academic profiles living in
Trinidad and Tobago.
Cycle one, called The Sunflower Project,
includes 21 students from Charis Works
Christian Academy, Tunapuna Government
Primary School and Good Shepherd Tunapuna
Anglican Primary School. They participated in
a 9 session art program and crafted mosaic
sunflower market bags based on the colors of
At the end of the program, a community Art Show and Auction was held to celebrate their creations, validate their abilities, and promote cultural representation and nutrition. The talented artists raised $4,440.00 TTD. Each participant received 60% of what their bag raised, while the remaining 40% helped fund Cycle Two, called the Make the Beat Project and ongoing Tunapuna Community Council programs and services. Explore captured moments from our project below. Click here to read the full article published in the TNT Mirror.